Assumption of the
Blessed Virgin Mary

Assumption of the

Blessed Virgin Mary


Roman Catholic Parish


       ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY PARISH MISSION STATEMENT


We, the people of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Parish, accept the responsibility and challenge for the mission of Jesus to the Catholic Church "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations."  This is accomplished by creating a Christian community of Jesus which is alive and proclaims our worship, education, and service to others.

Roman Catholic
Parish

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Parish


Rev. Michael Andrew Echallier

1870-1877
Rev. Jose Maria Leclerk
1877-1880
No Pastor on record
1881-1884
Rev. Edward Gerard
1885-1885
Rev. Joseph Bloise
1885-1886
Rev. J. Montford
1886-1891
Rev. A. Warluzel 
1891-1894
No Resident Pastor
1894-1900
Rev. Joseph Bezamat 
1900-1901
Rev. Peter C. Cambiaire 
1901-1901
Rev. C. Durand 
1901-1902
Rev. John M. Chaucot 
1902-1903
Rev. Michael Vandermaison
1903-1904
Rev. Henry Heitz
1904-1913
Rev. Nicanor Suarez
1914-1914
Rev. Peter Heriz, OCD
1914-1916
Rev. Pascasius Heriz, OCD  
1916-1916
Rev. Amantius Manubens, OCD
1916-1921
Rev. Basilio Delgado, OCD 
1921-1930
Rev. Amantius Manubens, OCD
1930-1931
Rev. Basilio Delgado, OCD
1931-1940
Rev. Amantius Manubens, OCD
1940-1941
Rev. Jospeh D. Jacques, OCD
1941-1957
Rev. Alexander Leoni, OCD 
1957-1959
Rev. Francis S. Murphy 
1959-1963
Rev. William R. Lynch
1963-1968
Rev. Cornelius Cahalane
1968-1981
Rev. Reginald Phelan
1981-1989
Rev. Daniel Taylor
1989-1991
Rev. Brian Sherry
1991-1997
Rev. Charles Cloud
1997-2011
Rev. Jose Maria A Corvera 
2011-20xx


1870 - 1884


The history of our Parish dates back to 1870, when Fr. Echallier was assigned to establish and serve as first pastor for Assumption Parish and the Gila Settlements.  Our first church was completed in 1870 and is still standing.  This was the first Roman Catholic Church in Central Arizona.  Isabel Estrada was the first person baptized on July 10, 1870 and John Harris and Rosaria Ramirez were the first couple to be married, on July 16, 1870.  The Chapel of the Gila was renamed Assumption Parish in 1876, and Bishop Salpointe dedicated the Stations of the Cross on March 17, 1876. 

The second church was completed in 1884, and was located immediately west of the Gila Chapel and was dedicated on May 25, 1884.  The parish suffered a terrible loss when the church burnt down on the Feast of the Assumption in 1893. For the next 18 years, services were held in the original church.    The third church was completed in 1911 and Bishop Granjon dedicated it in 1912.  This church is still in use.



History  of  the

Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Roman Catholic Parish


About

Gila Chapel

1912 - 2016

Pastors: